So far, we have received forms for 250 separate students who will be shopping for backpacks, and there will be more! We hope to involve as many people as possible to share in this important ministry: helping our young neighbors start the school year with the school supplies they need. Join us!
How can you help?
- Set-Up Day is Wednesday, August 21:The plan is to unload a delivery truck in the morning at 9:00 a.m. (We will confirm the exact start time when we know the exact arrival time of the truck.) Once all supplies have arrived at the Bob Eisengrein Community Center, tables are set up, supplies are laid out by grade-level, and signs are hung to let families and volunteers know where to go. Youth are invited to help on this day. Come for as long as you have time for. The Community Center is at 100 Sherman Ave., Devens, MA 01434.
- Distribution Day is Friday, August 23: There are two shifts: 8:00 – 11:30 AM and 5:00 – 8:00 PM. We will play several different roles:
1) greet families as they arrive,
2) check shoppers in at the registration table, and
3) help families shop for backpacks and school supplies by grade.
Essentially, we are guiding people through the process and offering encouragement for a safe and happy school year. All that’s required is a friendly, welcoming attitude and a learning spirit! (Due to privacy concerns, we ask that only adults help on this day.)
Finally, if you’d like to help, but can’t make any of the above times, extra clean-up help on Friday evening from 7 p.m. on is always welcome. In addition, there is likely to be a need for transportation of leftover backpacks and supplies over the weekend (Aug. 24 and 25) and distribution of surplus supplies to area schools during the day on Monday (Aug. 26).
If you can help in any way, please contact Stefanie Lempp (contact info. below) to let her know your availability. Many thanks in advance!
Contacts: Andrea McDonough (firstname.lastname@example.org; 978-692-7859)
Stefanie Lempp (email@example.com; 978-502-1754)